I love my silhouette more every time I use it! I measured the size the boards would be when I put them together and decided on a font. Then I cut the letters, peeled off the extra vinyl, and applied it to the stained, dry surface. I tried to make sure every letter was pressed down well, I didn't want paint all up under my lettering! With my last sign it didn't much matter, it was supposed to look worn through. This one though, I wanted to be crisp and precise. After making sure the lettering was pressed down as well as I could, I went ahead and painted on a layer of the Valspar. I never know if you are supposed to wait for it to dry or not. I try... and then give up shortly after. I don't want to wait around, I want to see what I made! So this is how it turned out in the end, after it all dried, got sanded, wood pasted, and I antiqued with Annie Sloan dark wax.