Monday, June 3, 2013

Abe Lincoln Sign

Haley has gotten me on a sign kick! I have so many that I want to make, but I'll be moving soon and it's pointless to decorate at this point! Anyway, I couldn't resist dragging out my husband's miter saw to slice up a couple of boards for this quote from Abraham Lincoln. He said, "My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." How can you not love that? I love it when famous people who have made a difference trust in God, and this is a perfect example. Everything that I used for this project was already on hand, some boards that Linwood hadn't burned in our fireplace this winter, wood conditioner, stain (dark walnut by Minwax), some Valspar paint (Statuesque), and some finishing paste by Minwax.
I love my silhouette more every time I use it! I measured the size the boards would be when I put them together and decided on a font. Then I cut the letters, peeled off the extra vinyl, and applied it to the stained, dry surface. I tried to make sure every letter was pressed down well, I didn't want paint all up under my lettering! With my last sign it didn't much matter, it was supposed to look worn through. This one  though, I wanted to be crisp and precise. After making sure the lettering was pressed down as well as I could, I went ahead and painted on a layer of the Valspar. I never know if you are supposed to wait for it to dry or not. I try... and then give up shortly after. I don't want to wait around, I want to see what I made! So this is how it turned out in the end, after it all dried, got sanded, wood pasted, and I antiqued with Annie Sloan dark wax.
~Rachel

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment