Sunday, June 16, 2013

Minecraft Steve Quilt

This is the quilt I've been giving sneak peeks of! A few months ago, my husband and I went out with another couple to eat sushi, and of course, we talked about our jobs and what we like to do. My friend asked if I'd be willing to make a quilt for her 10 year-old son. Of course, I said I'd be happy to, and we worked out all the details later. This is another commissioned quilt and it came with a small TNT pillow, a regular sham, and she eventually wants curtains. Now, I had NO idea what Minecraft was, so I had to do some Googling to figure out what to do. She sent some pictures and I knew the basics of what she wanted!
From what I could tell, Minecraft is super pixely and I wanted "Steve" to look that way on the quilt. I got out my graph paper, did some math, and figured out my measurements. The fun part was coloring in the hundreds of squares (seriously, I like to color)! The hard part was how long it took to make, I like to just go and go until a project is finished, but this one took a while because I couldn't take a lot of shortcuts because of my color placement. The background was simple and fast though. The little TNT pillow was fun to do, I cut the letters out with my Silhouette and stitched it all up. The blue cloud sham was made with leftover squares from Steve's shirt. All-in-all, a totally different project than I ever thought I'd do!
So, go search Minecraft if you don't know what it is, and then you can tell me if I captured the pixelated and squarish look I was going for. I tried to quilt this one by myself, but I had to rip out stitches, and I HATE ripping stitches out of quilts, especially when the thread is CLEAR. So, I called up my quilter lady and she happily did it for the standard rate. I'll be happy when I don't have to pay for quilting anymore! She did a fabulous job and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Even if it is some computer game that I'd never heard of :) I really just hope they enjoy it because that's what it's all about! Want to learn more about what it is? Go here! Anyway, I had to wait to post it, because she just came and picked it up and I thought she should see it before I plastered it all over the blog. Don't forget to contact me at littlebitsofeverythingqce@gmail.com if you'd like a quilt of your own!
~Rachel

I tried to quilt it on my sewing machine. It took two hours (watching Tomb Raider) to pin the whole thing. Eventually it didn't work out though, like I mentioned above...



 
 
 
 
Pixel clouds!
 
Hope he enjoys this one!
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. My kids want me to make this now;). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn! I'm glad they enjoyed it, thanks for checking out the blog :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks perfectly pixelated in every way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to make this for my son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! Your talent amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Naomi and Kelly! I'm thinking about making a pattern, we'll see if I actually get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do make a pattern - PLEASE share it with me! My son would love to have this quilt! ackermannshannon@yahoo.com

      Delete
  7. Big Steve! Very cool! I'm sure that 10 year old boy is loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What size are your squares? 3 or 2 inch?

    ReplyDelete