Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Ruffled onesie

I think I've mentioned that I love my Janome sewing machine... Once or twice :) Anyway, another cool thing that I tried on it was the serge stitch. It totally worked and so this ruffled onesie was a good tester project! When sewing on ruffles, you don't want thick seams on the top and bottom of each strip, so people usually serge the edges for a finished edge that won't fray. I don't have a serger so I tried this and am pretty happy with how it turned out (I know it got a bit crooked at one point, but hey, it was my first attempt)! First I "serged" the edges of a couple strips of fabric and the pulled the bobbin thread to get the ruffle effect. Here is a good tutorial for how to make this in case you'd like to try it too! And, doesn't the name of that blog AND project just make you smile? It's exactly how I feel about my own work. Now for some pictures!

Serging the edges

Applique bow on front


The sun was sooo bright!


Just a shot of the back so you can see better. I haven't stitched around the two bows yet, and I don't know if I will, I'm curious to see how well the Heat N Bond will hold up!
Well, that's it for now, I'm off to clean my house and get projects all put away so I can have company. I mean, I have to clear at least a small place for someone to sleep... Geez. My life is so hard ;)
~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment