Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Chloe's Quilt

This is a quilt that I did last year before my neice was born! Her birthday is the 22nd of this month (time FLIES) and in honor of that, I'm showing off her quilt again. This has been one of my favorite quilts to do. I love the simple squares and how the quilting makes diamonds. I didn't mean to pick ladybug fabric either, it just happened! Sometimes when I don't know what I'm doing, everything works out anyway. This happened to be one of those times-Thank goodness! So, I cut five inch squares for the ladybug squares, and then cut three inch strips. I sewed two of these strips together at a time and the sub-cut them into 3 inch segments. La, la, la, then some more piecing and fitting and sewing and BAM! There it was, just for Chloe. I sure hope that she enjoys chewing on it or drooling on it, or whatever it is that babies like to do to quilts! Chloe is such a happy baby and seems to always be in such a good mood that I'm happy that I did bright happy fabrics. I did quilt this on my regular sewing machine, and I hand stitched the binding on. That has always been my preference because you can't see the stitches that way. (Or maybe because I'm terrible at the other kind of binding... Okay, yes! That's it!) There is a quilt in my Etsy shop that I made using this same method/pattern. It is boyish and has mustaches all over it! If you'd like to go have a look... here it is! I'm kind of REALLY wanting to do another baby quilt like this one, I'm trying to think of a good color scheme. I have not really used any yellows or oranges in anything that I've done so far, so maybe? I have a habit of buying aqua colored fabrics, so I have a big fatty pile of blues, and a tiny, puny set of yellows and oranges. The sad thing is that I know what I'm doing when I buy another aqua. I'm feeding the monster fabric hoarder that I really am! Oh well, as long as I can fit it all into my sewing room and the spare room, I should be fine, right?


2 comments:

  1. love this quilt!!! It's SO cute!!! I hope Chloe loves it even more as she grows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope so too! That's one of the four quilts i've hand quilted! I really need to do more :)

    ReplyDelete