Monday, July 15, 2013

Patriotic!

First, I DO know that the 4th of July is over.
Second, this is not for me.
Third, my mother has a thing for flags & red, white, & blue.

This is for her birthday, which is July 22nd, and I know that she has been wanting a patriotic something or other. My mom has been asking my dad to put a flag in our yard for... oh, my whole life, basically! She made herself a throw pillow that was red, white, & blue when she was at my house, but I wanted to add a little something to it. She found this tumbler pattern on YouTube that she liked, but I didn't feel like buying a template, so I just used 3" x 4" rectangles of scrap fabrics that I have left from projects. Some of the fabrics are from this quilt, and others just came along the way! I'm happy with how it turned out, I just hope that she is too! I had use two different fabrics for the binding, but it's all good and navy. Muslin is the backing, and I machine quilted in straight lines and used my Janome walking foot (used these instructions). Why have I never tested this foot out?! It's awesome!
By the way, I checked out the first season of Lost to watch while I bound it (I'd never watched one episode) and now I'm a bit weirded out. Didn't people love that show? Maybe I'll like it if I keep on watching..? I don't know. My favorite series at the moment is Doc Martin. Sarcasm & British accents? Yes, please. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but what else is new!?
~Rachel

 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I work for an elections office and am looking for a patriotic quilt to make and hang in our office. :) this may be it!

    ReplyDelete